Vortex OSD not working properly

I am hoping you will be able to assist me. I am having real problems getting the Vortex 285 to work.

I cannot get the Wizard to go past the centre all controls screen. Nothing appears on the first line at all and I get inconsistent readings from the other bars. The switches I have set for channel 5 and 6 come across clean. Hence I have not been to get it past this screen once.

I decided to connect it up to CleanFlight to check the outputs were being received by the controller properly and it showed that it was receiving the correct readings from the Taranis. This showed that the signals were coming across clean and stable within the correct ranges and I was able to centre all the values at 1500 and hold them there.

I then installed the ImmersionRC Tools on my PC and downloaded the latest firmware for both OSD and the controller. However I could not get the OSD to connect on either a Vista PC or my Mac which I have now installed parallels on. Neither machine recognises it as a USB device.

I then decided to try to update the Cleanflight firmware to the latest version available from the Immersion RC site. That Installed onto the board however it will now not connect to the computer so I cannot even check the outputs now.

I have spent most of this afternoon trying to get it to work and am now completely at a loss as to why it is failing to even get past the first Wizard screen. Are you able to assist at all? It is as if the OSD/USB connection is not working. The reason I decided to order it was easy of setup and travel compared to my other quads with the OSD and wizard however I don’t seem to be able to get it to work at all.

Regards

Spent yesterday and this morning looking at it again. To get it to work with the X4rsb I have had to use the SBus converter that I was going to use for something else.

It seems that while the Flight Controller was happy with the signals coming directly out of the receiver the OSD did not like them. So while I can use the direct output to control the quad it will not allow me to enter even enter the setup screens without the converter connected. So have left the converter on as getting to the settings without having to have a computer with me was one of the main reasons for buying it.

I figured out that the throttle back issue was due to the flight mode. In Acro I could throttle back without the converter.

Thanks for all your help. I now need to put the props back on it and see how it flys hopefully it will stop raining.

I am sorry about all the poor experience with your setup, could you give me some details as to what radio you are using with the vortex? Also when you plug it in to your windows PC are you able to see it on the device manager or are there any errors in your PC recognizing the device? Also I assume that you are using the method as detailed in the manual?

Hi Alex

I am using a Taranis 9D+ with a 4xrsb receiver which is outputting CPPM as I put the jumper over signals 2 & 3 before I bound it.

It will not connect to my windows PC or my mac running parallels. On the PC while the software installed the drivers it failed to load when the quad was connected and now neither of the ports is showing. It was connecting to Cleanflight before I upgraded the firmware. It allowed me to check that the outputs were being received correctly into the flight controller.

I have tried everything in the living manual including the Bricked OSD method. Nothing gets it to connect.

I managed to get the Vortex to connect upto the Tools this evening and updated the firmware to the latest version that is on the website. So I am now running the following:

BL 1.0.0.2 Bootloader
OSD Version 1.0.0.28
FC 1.12.0
API Version 1.16

Getting the FC and OSD in line again allowed me to connect it back up to CleanFlight. Here is a screen shot showing all controls steady at 1500.

However I am still not getting anything on Channel 1 on the wizard and Channels 2 and 3 seem to be a mix of 1, 2 & 3.

So I am certain the receiver is performing as required and now have the latest firmware on it. Is there any other resets I could do to it?

I have taken another look at the screen shot I sent over. There is another Channel on AUX7 being reported in Clmeanflight. I have tried reducing the taranis down to 6 Channels and it is still there. Is this the RSSI or telemetry channel? I tried saving that option in CleanFlight however it just reverts back each time.

Is it possible to set up the quad in CleanFlight and bypass the Wizard?

Ahh I understand now, but I dont think there is any way to avoid the setup wizard. However in the setup wizard when it asks you to move the sticks does it just not picking them up. By the sounds of it the setup wizard got confused and now was mismapped the channels. In cleanflight can you also confirm the max-min values for each channel are 1000 and 2000, if not you will need to adjust the end points on your taranis.

Spent yesterday and this morning looking at it again. To get it to work with the X4rsb I have had to use the SBus converter that I was going to use for something else.

It seems that while the Flight Controller was happy with the signals coming directly out of the receiver the OSD did not like them. So while I can use the direct output to control the quad it will not allow me to enter even enter the setup screens without the converter connected. So have left the converter on as getting to the settings without having to have a computer with me was one of the main reasons for buying it.

I figured out that the throttle back issue was due to the flight mode. In Acro I could throttle back without the converter.

Thanks for all your help. I now need to put the props back on it and see how it flys hopefully it will stop raining.

Hello. I have the same problem, but I don’t have S-bus converter. Did anyone solve problem without using it?

Depending on your reciver there is some hacks that you can do or you can make your own cable

I have X4R-SB receiver

Im having exact the same problem.

Also taranis x9d plus (lbt version) and the X4R-SB.

The x4rsb is already instaled so i can use cppm (connector on pin 2 and 3)

If i Come up the osd screen it looks like channels get mixed but its Just normal install… realy dont get the problem. Alsof ik cant understant were that aux 7 is comming from!!!

Please some one help!

The shop were i bought the receiver told me that the cppm on the X4R-SB is Just a normal ppm signal so the osd from the immersionrc vortex 285 should Just reconize this as a ppm…

What mode have you bound the X4R-sb in to your taranis?

You need to put a jumper on signal pins 2 and 3 on your x4r when binding to ensure it will be in ppm mode.

Also one thing to consider of you purchased your receiver a long time ago you might need to update firmware as the older firmware does not enable ppm mode. You can get firmware from the frsky website - http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/index.php?sort=&cate_id=0&pro_id=134

Dear all, I am new to this forum. Today I wanted to check on my Vortex 285 again and ran into above issue.
My configuration is a X4R-Receiver with the newest firmware, bound in CPPM mode and perfectly working on the Vortex (as can be seen in Cleanflight). However I cannot run the Wizard, as the 6 channels are not centered, some channels are even mixed together and not separated (Throttle and Elevator influence the same bar in the OSD, for example). Again, looking at Cleanflight everything is fine, center points, end points for all 6 channels.

Searching the net I think I found the cause, but not yet a solution.
FrSky seems to have changed the timing from 18 ms to 27 ms, when you bind the X4R and X4R-SB in PPM mode. While this timing is still valid for servos, I suspect it is causing the issues with the OSD Wizard.

That guy wanted to run a copter using the x4r receiver with PPM signal for the copter and the 3 remaining channels to control a Foxeer Legend camera. He found, that in CPPM the camera did not work.

Not quite sure yet, how I am going to solve this issue. Ideally ImmersionRC would upgrade the OSD software to allow for longer timing, as 27 ms is well within standard and not an issue with most of the other components. FrSky decided for the 27 ms to avoid frames being dropped, which could be possible with 18 ms timing and 8 channels used.