Kakute F7 V1.5 Smoked, should I keep flying it?

Hi All,

First post on dronetrest. I flashed an RSSI mod firmware on an FS-X14S then on my first test I smoked the FC. To be honest I don’t think it had anything to do with the receiver firmware but whatever happened I see a relatively large component on the FC is discolored and swollen up and it is roughly where I saw the smoke. See photo below. I actually don’t know what the component in, maybe someone can help me identify it and what’s its purpose is?

The FC is still working when connected to a computer and the ESC is talking to the FC fine. I am planning to desolder and resolder everything on the FC and try flying it again while I wait for a new F7 controller.

Just want to know if anyone knows what that component is (the Kakute manual shows a “coil-like” symbol) and what impact it will have to the function of the FC.

TIA!

Yep that’s an inductor which is usually part of dc/dc buck converter circuit (switching power supply). In your case it’s 10uH smd inductor (there was 100 stamped on it, at least that’s what i can see on holybro’s site), not sure which dimensions, you can measure, but i would presume 0630 size ( 773MM). If it’s part of 5V power supply, check if you get 5v on the pad next to it. I would still replace it before flying.

edit: hmm looks smaller than 0630 … i’ve measured usb connector which is 7.5mm so this is smaller… measure it, then we can see what size it is.

You can try and replace it if your up to the challenge… I would just bin it.
I wouldn’t be happy risking my quad.

Hi Gero, thanks for your interest and help.

I may try to replace the inductor as a side project. Although I have never tried to replace any sort of SMD.

Actual size is: 4.28 mm x 4.28 mm.

I am trying to look for a replacement on DigiKey.ca. How did you figure out the inductance value (what’s the 100 referring to)? I know the 5V rail is rated for 2 amps so i’ll be selecting something slightly higher i guess?

See catalog here: https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/filter/fixed-inductors/71?s=N4IgjCBcoEwAwA4DsVQGMoDMCGAbAzgKYA0IA9lANrhwAEArQBIgC6pADgC5QgCqAdgEtOAeUwBZQtnwBXAE6EQAXxVA

I am curious what might have caused this. Is it almost certainly from some short circuit on the 5V?

It looks like it’s 0420 size then, like 4 x 4 x 2 mm. that 100 on inductor is in uH and it’s like first 2 digits multiplied by 10 exponent third digit … so 10 * 10 ^ 0 = 10 uH . Chinese sell them cheapo like f.e. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001272524741.html ,on digikey the closest i’ve found is https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/bourns-inc/SRP0420-100K/11688731 . What caused it, well low quality chinese components, 5V overload, if you’ve just reflashed rx, and it’s on 5v rail maybe resoldering created short … did you check with multimeter? Whenever i solder something, i always put multimeter in conductivity test and check if positive and negative are in short … who knows, did you check if you have 5V on fc ?