Betaflight update - Emax Hawk 5

Hi Guys,

Just bought an Hawk 5 PNP. Only ever flown with a Naza FC before so just learning about Betaflight. I was following Joshua Bardwell’s beginners guide to Betaflight, and I’ve flashed the firmware from 3.2 to 3.5.

I selected full chip erase when doing this like he recommends… Have I just overwritten all the tuning that comes with the Hawk 5 out of the box?

I created a backup using diff all before I started. If I restored that would it just restore the settings and tuning or would it revert back to 3.2?

A quick search on here also came up with a settings dump thread, would that be the same as my diff all file?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Josh

Ok, from what I can tell I just have to paste the settings back into the CLI from my diff all.

But how do I know if something has changed or been renamed from 3.2 to 3.5, surely I’m not going to have to go through the change log of every single version since 3.2?

Hi Onzabikes,

I also updated my Hawk 5 to 3.5.1 and had the same fun as some of the settings from the diff file no longer exist. I simply looked at the error messages that occurred in the CLI where settings had changed, then did some research to try and figure out what the missing settings did.
One thing I have found since the update is that the RSSI no longer works properly. You may have the same issue (or hopefully not).
Other than that it still flies brilliantly. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help @GrandFromage. Haven’t flown it yet so won’t be able to compare but I’m sure it will fly great.

I’ve managed to go through each error and find the replacements. There are a couple I’m not sure about if anyone would be able to help.

rc_rate is now roll_rc_rate AND pitch_rc_rate, the original config was rc_rate = 90, so would I set both of those new values to 90?

Same for rc_expo, it was rc_expo = 10, so should I set both roll_expo and pitch_expo to 10?

Many thanks