I will post here my progress building the Q800 Hex. Being a complete novice in the multicopter scene it might highlight a few 'issues' that the more experienced out there would sail through without thinking.
I don't have any pictures yet but will come back and edit the post as I get time and inclination, in the mean time I will steal the ones from the shop.
So options I have gone for for this build..
Q800 Carbon fibre frame
FY G3 Brushless gimbal - This is a great little gimble for gopro
880kv motor, 30A ESC, 12" Prop set - Couldn't decide between 850 and 880 so it was one potato two potato
Hex Wiring harness
Ublox GPS with Compass
Fatshark Attitude FPV
3 Channel Video switch - Might not use it but while throwing money away like water I bought it just in case.
The first thing I did was to assemble the FY G3 gimbal, it is really pretty straight forward and the only mistake I made was putting the lower board on back to front.. Just look closely at the picture to get it right way round.
I stuck the gopro in it and plugged the gimbal into a 3s pack and it worked a treat, does not come much easier than that I have to say. How easy it turns out to be to get it tilting under radio control remains to be seen..
Next up I built up the frame and so the first warning.. DO NOT START ASSEMBLY UNTIL YOU HAVE THE MOTORS! also do not assemble all 6 arms as per assembly guide, two of them need to be passed through the holes in the fuselage strut before you fix the Arm Mount on otherwise you cannot get the strut fitted. The round hole in this part
Before you assemble the arms there are some parts not detailed in the assembly guide which fit into the ends of the arms to prevent the tube distorting when you fit the arm mounts and motor mounts.
Of course I stormed ahead, assembled the entire frame and then realised I had two bags of bits left over, after a bit of head scratching realised they need to be put in the ends of the arms and so had to dismantle the thing again to put them in and then reassembled the entire frame feeling rather chuffed with myself at the progress I was making.
Of course at that point I did not have the motors but I figured I would just slide the wires through the tubes easy enough when the motors arrived.. That plan would have worked absolutely fine had it not been for the paragraph above, with the inserts in the end of the tubes it is all but impossible to thread the cables through with the arm assembled ARRRGGGHHHHH
So dismantle frame yet again, and the arms, fit motor into motor mount, thread through first insert and attach motor mount to arm end, pull cables out of other end, slide insert over cables and into arm and attach the Arm mount..
While on the subject of motors, another thing to watch out for is the circular motor mounting plates - They need to be fitted the correct way up onto the motor. If you get them upside down the cable does not exit the motor in line with the arm (between two screw holes), it exits over the top of one of the motor mounting plate screws. If you look closely at this picture you will see that the motor mounting holes in the middle line up differently with the plate mounting holes on the top and bottom plate compared to the left and right - two are upside down two are not.
It never occurred to me that it would make a difference which way up they are until I realised that the first 3 motors I fitted the cable was not in line with the arm but the 4th motor it was. So, take first three motors off again and flip the mounting plate over to sort that out.
As I fitted the motors I checked they turned freely, and motor number four did not. It was not locked but you could tell it was not completely free running like the others. I thought maybe the screws were too long but eliminated that as a cause, it turned out the hole in the middle of the plate was just a gnats whisker too small and the circlip on the motor shaft was snagging. I just used the dremmel to open up the hole a tiny bit so the clip could freely rotate and everything was fine.
Also one of the motors the prop adapter would not fit, the little grub screw in the motor case was sticking out just a tiny bit but enough to prevent the adapter sliding on, so I took the grub out and using the dremmel with a grinding disk I shaved off a tiny bit of the end of the screw - the outside not the inside - it was only a tiny sliver so did not affect the hex key fitting in. That done the adapter slipped straight on no bother.
With this final re-assembly (well I hope it is the final one) I decided it would be best to thread lock the screws, with six motors spinning 12" props there is bound to be some vibration so I figured that would be a good idea. Also the 4 folding arms are simply pivoting on the little 3mm screws or whatever size they are, threadlock should help them not to work themselves lose too easy, that seems like quite a poor design to me but I guess time will tell.
I could not resist putting the props on to get an idea what it will look like, it looks much, MUCH bigger than I thought it was going to when I first opened the box! For amusement I sit here attempting to land the Hubsan X4 on top of the Q800 canopy
So that is progress so far, next up is going to be fitting the electrics, still waiting on RX but that should be here tomorrow so day off today