The Skydio R1 - Self-Flying

A drone that will orbit you while running through woods.
Its able to sense its changing surroundings and avoid EVERYTHING.

Just WOW.

I do think this company stand a chance to take some market share away from DJI… but only if they can get the price down in future versions…

In the post that @luca linked I also shared a video from tested.com that go into the details of how it works which I found quite interesting… their model predicts something like 4 seconds in the future to help improve tracking…

But I also tend to think, for selfie videos its perfect (not counting the price), but this market is general consumers so the price does need to come down alot more. For professionals… if you think about most of the drone footage used in TV shows and movies… its more helicopter style shots that dont require fancy object avoidance like this. And at the price of $2500 for this… you could get a phantom 4 pro that has a much better camera…

Although an interested idea… someone should get one of these and make it follow a FPV drone through the trees… will be quite interesting to see how it can handle that.

… someone should get one of these and make it follow a FPV drone through the trees… will be quite interesting to see how it can handle that…

Any volunteers ? :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like