FPV Camera testing using AV to HDMI converter?

Hi,

Having had several issues viewing VTX output and not being sure whether it was a power issues, VTX issue or camera issue I think for future reference I would like to plug any camera, such as my runcam in to a laptop,PC or my smart phone to see if the camera is at fault in the future (I had to buy a second camera to double check, but had to do soldering to connect it) could I use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-CVBS-HDMI-Converter-1080P/dp/B00EI9LJ40/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1483900406&sr=8-18&keywords=av+to+mini+hdmi+cable

and just use the camera Signal, 5v and GND connector to the camera as normal but solder them to the cables as shown? And what would the white connection be? Audio? or would i not use that? This would save me time in the future in fault checking. Or maybe things usually work and I have had a terrible bit of bad luck this time!?

Thanks,

Steve

Hello,
I would like to know if you have any updates as I am intrested in this kind of solution for connecting an fpv cam to my raspbery pi.

I tried doing this and connecting the AV2HDMI converter to an hdmi screen, but I didn’t receive any signal. Although theoretically this should work. The converter takes in CVBS signal and this is the signal output of the fpv cam. Maybe my converter is broken?

Thank you.

Yeah, that should work so it could be that your converter is broken, but it could also be that is is not wired up correctly, does not have sufficient power, or even that the HDMI spec that it outputs is not supported by your monitor, although this is the least likely cause of the issue in my opinion.

HDMI Versions: HDMI Version 1.0 to 2.1 Explained (freevideoworkshop.com)