Flip32 F4 / Airbot F4 FRSKY Telemetry Help!

Trying to get FRSKY Telemetry to work with an Flip F4 FC to no avail…
Followed the instructions for the Omnibus F4 Setup guide, but the line commands are for Betaflight, and iNav commands are not the same.

Running CPPM Through a D4R II with the Rx line fed into UART 1 Tx, and the Gnd wire to the Gnd on the FC above the 5v pins. Soft serial enabled in iNav 1.8.0

GPS connected to UART 3 TX Rx SCL/SDA (working)

Tried to discover new sensors in Taranis, but to no avail…
What am I missing?
Any input would be helpful. I really would like this to work, I am reviving an old Skyfun that I want to bore holes with…
Thnx
Ted

Did you even connected the Smart Port somewhere?

You won’t receive any telemetry without smartport connected to a spare UART TX and enabling telemetry in your configurator and ports tabs.

1 Like

Yes I did that, I enabled soft serial, and re maped it to UART1 as per the F4 Setup guide, but I do not think I did it right.

The dump says that soft serial is
C09: SOFTSERIAL1 UART TX

The Dronetrest F4 Setup guide says it should be A09
The command that guide gives is for Betaflight, and does not work.

Here is the resource Dump

resource

IO:

A00: FREE
A01: MOTOR5 OUT
A02: MOTOR4 OUT
A03: MOTOR3 OUT
A04: MPU CS
A05: SPI1 SCK
A06: SPI1 MISO
A07: SPI1 MOSI
A08: MOTOR6 OUT
A09: FREE
A10: FREE
A11: USB IN
A12: USB OUT
A13: FREE
A14: FREE
A15: SPI_PREINIT CS
B00: MOTOR1 OUT
B01: MOTOR2 OUT
B02: FREE
B03: FLASH CS
B04: BEEPER OUT
B05: LED1 OUT
B06: FREE
B07: FREE
B08: FREE
B09: FREE
B10: SERIAL3 UART TX
B11: SERIAL3 UART RX
B12: FREE
B13: FREE
B14: PPM IN
B15: FREE
C00: INVERTER OUT
C01: FREE
C02: ADC CH2
C03: FREE
C04: MPU EXTI
C05: FREE
C06: FREE
C07: FREE
C08: SOFTSERIAL1 UART RX
C09: SOFTSERIAL1 UART TX
C10: SPI3 SCK
C11: SPI3 MISO
C12: SPI3 MOSI
C13: FREE
C14: FREE
C15: FREE
D00: FREE
D01: FREE
D02: FREE
D03: FREE
D04: FREE
D05: FREE
D06: FREE
D07: FREE
D08: FREE
D09: FREE
D10: FREE
D11: FREE
D12: FREE
D13: FREE
D14: FREE
D15: FREE

Yes I connected it to Soft Serial

I am a bit confused… some setup guides say to use smart port, and some say to use FRSKY…
Which is it? I have tried both, to no avail. I am sure it is just the wrong setting.

From what I can tell, I don’t think Inav supports resource remapping. So you might have to figure out which pin C09 is and connect to that if you can.

Your receiver manual should give instruction as to which mode that it supports. If you don’t have it, it should be available on the FrSky website.

I hope this helps

I seem to have found it. The software serial is on two small pads next to the chip labeled ch5/ch6.
Being this is an older design, the port is not in the location of the standard UART pins.
A delecate solder, but doable. It seems most pics of the pinouts of this board, do not include this info, except the one I found. I found a wiki in this board, that I had overlooked also…

“SoftwareSerial
This board allows for single SoftwareSerial port on small soldering pads located next to UART3 pins.”

Pad SoftwareSerial Role
CH5 RX
CH6 TX

I’m glad that you have managed to sort your issue. If you need any more help just put it here. Happy flying.

Tim

Yes, one more question, do I need to run a ground line along with the telemetry wire to the FC? I am running a D4R II with CPPM. Doesn’t the ground line from the CPPM lin cover it? Yes dronetrest is a great place for answers, when I was messing with APM, I had great input for my problems.
Thnx Tim

I don’t think you need a ground wire for the telemetry. I usually run SBUS with smart port and that just has ground, 5v and sbus on one UART with a single smart port wire on another UART. The set up may be different for CPPM but I wouldn’t have thought so.