Betaflight 3.5.3 firmware update broke my quad!

Hello people!
This might be that I am just so new to this world that I havent internalised yet as you change something problem witll arise xD
The thing is that recently i got my first quad, an eachine x220s RTF, super fun, great to learn, break it fix it and learn through this path. Cool
I thought it would be a good idea to flash the firmware of the FC to the latest version 3.5.3 at this moment, so Im up to date.
Right… I backed up my diff in CLI to paste it after the update. my surprise was that after the update I found a bunch of unknown problems out of nothing. Let me tell you that I was flying my quad happily before the update withouth major problems, I just updated to see if current monitoring improved.
First of all I started having “runaway” problem in the OSD. After searching and searching… I realised the update disorientated my flight controller and pitch and roll weren’t where they were supposed to be… bloody hell, ok thats fixed now.
Most of the time when I plug my battery i get a constant beeping from the quad and not responding to transmitter, then I start turning on and off the transmitter, and the quad untill it locks and then the quad works fine. Not until I arm the quad for about 1 minute, take off and I get a couple beeps with the message RXLOSS in the OSD (the receiver FS-A8S still having a red solid led, so hasn’t loos communication with transmitter)
On top of everything I get constantly a message in the OSD when not armed, stating BATT < FULL. WTF??? This doesnt disappear if I change the maximum minimum or warning voltage in BF, only disappears (i think) if i deselect the voltage monitoring in BF.
Ohh… This is exhausting and frustrating!! Is it normal to get so many problems after updating firmware or is just my inexperience?
In BF configuration tab there is something regarding RSSI signal. neither my receiver or my transmitter have telemetry, is this maybe triggering false failsafe?? i will try to deactivate this feature, but if anything that I mentioned happened to you before would be great your opinion!
Thankss!

Hi Yagormeister!

I know it’s frustrating when you get these sorts of problems so I’ll see if I can help…

I’m not sure what Betaflight version was on your x220s before you updated - but you can often get problems going from an older version to the latest as quite a lot can change - I can take a look at your configuration and see if I can help if you like?

Could share both your orginal and current CLI diff outputs and i’ll see if anything jumps out… Also do you know the original BF version that your quad came with?

:alien:

thanks for you help AlienskysFPV indeed.
As stated in the old diff stock version was 3.1.7
Here we go
Old CLI diff:

diff

version

Betaflight / OMNIBUSF4SD 3.1.7 Apr 10 2017 / 17:10:55 ()

name

resources

mixer

servo

servo mix

feature

feature CURRENT_METER
feature RSSI_ADC
feature LED_STRIP
feature AIRMODE

beeper

map

serial

serial 5 64 115200 57600 0 115200

led

led 0 0,11::L:8
led 1 0,12::AOI:8
led 2 0,13::AOI:2
led 3 0,14::AOI:2
led 4 0,15::L:2
led 5 15,11::L:8
led 6 15,12::AOI:8
led 7 15,13::AOI:2
led 8 15,14::AOI:2
led 9 15,15::L:2

color

mode_color

mode_color 6 0 2
mode_color 7 0 0

aux

aux 0 0 0 1700 2100
aux 1 1 3 1250 1675
aux 2 13 2 1700 2100
aux 3 15 1 1650 2050

adjrange

rxrange

rxfail

rxfail 6 s 1800

master

set motor_pwm_protocol = DSHOT600
set serialrx_provider = SBUS
set vbat_max_cell_voltage = 42
set vbat_warning_cell_voltage = 34
set ibat_scale = 3371
set failsafe_delay = 5
set acc_trim_pitch = 6
set osd_cap_alarm = 1500
set osd_vbat_pos = 2092
set osd_rssi_pos = 2105
set osd_ontimer_pos = 376
set osd_flymode_pos = 429
set osd_throttle_pos = 326
set osd_horizon_pos = 110
set osd_current_pos = 2391
set osd_mah_drawn_pos = 2422
set osd_altitude_pos = 23

profile 0

rateprofile 0

rateprofile

rateprofile 0

set rc_rate = 120
set rc_rate_yaw = 101

Current diff:

diff

version

Betaflight / OMNIBUSF4 (OBF4) 3.5.3 Nov 15 2018 / 00:17:46 (61d5abf00) MSP API: 1.40

board_name OMNIBUSF4
manufacturer_id AIRB

name

resources

mixer

servo

servo mix

feature

feature -RX_PARALLEL_PWM
feature RX_SERIAL
feature LED_STRIP
feature AIRMODE

beeper

beacon

map

serial

serial 5 64 115200 57600 0 115200

led

led 0 0,11::L:8
led 1 0,12::AOI:8
led 2 0,13::AOI:2
led 3 0,14::AOI:2
led 4 0,15::L:2
led 5 15,11::L:8
led 6 15,12::AOI:8
led 7 15,13::AOI:2
led 8 15,14::AOI:2
led 9 15,15::L:2

color

mode_color

mode_color 6 0 2
mode_color 7 0 0

aux

aux 0 0 0 1700 2100 0 0
aux 1 1 3 1250 1675 0 0
aux 2 13 2 1700 2100 0 0
aux 3 15 1 1650 2050 0 0

adjrange

rxrange

vtx

rxfail

rxfail 6 s 1800

master

set acc_calibration = 60,90,-251
set mag_hardware = NONE
set serialrx_provider = SBUS
set motor_pwm_protocol = DSHOT600
set failsafe_delay = 5
set align_board_yaw = 90
set vbat_warning_cell_voltage = 34
set current_meter = NONE
set ibata_scale = 1300
set osd_cap_alarm = 1500
set osd_vbat_pos = 2071
set osd_rssi_pos = 57
set osd_remaining_time_estimate_pos = 2423
set osd_flymode_pos = 429
set osd_throttle_pos = 326
set osd_current_pos = 343
set osd_mah_drawn_pos = 374
set osd_altitude_pos = 2453
set osd_warnings_pos = 2442
set osd_avg_cell_voltage_pos = 2103
set osd_battery_usage_pos = 2048

profile 0

rateprofile

rateprofile 0

I wrote a setup guide a while ago specific to the x220s that should help you get it all setup again after a firmware update

Looks like the BF target has changed from OmnibusF4SD to OmnibusF4 - not sure that will help…

1 Like

O_O i didnt realised. but thats actually right. maybe ivbeen flashing all the time to the wrong firmware.
you know, im going back to the original firmware, ill let you know in a couple days and see how im getting on

I tried this morning to flash to omnibusf4sd 3.1.7. But when connecting the battery I only get a constant beeping from fc and transmitter not talking to the drone, even though the radio receiver has a solid red led (so it’s bind3d).
The strangest thing is that sometimes it gets fixed as I navigate through betaflight tabs and reboot the quad, after this rebooting then it’s ok until randomly starts messing again. XD can you belive this guys??? Anyway… haven’t had time to test it properly as I’m gonna be busy till tomorrow.

I went through your guide, but there is nothing I have done differently than you guide says… can’t see name of the fc target in your guide, I can see though you have version 3.1.7.
Have you done the tutorial in how to update the firmware because that’s the part I need! Hehe. I think I might be able to write that part after I did this!!! But I can summarize it like this: how to update x220s firmware, very easy, just don’t!!! Hahaha

So glad to read this I won’t be upgrading bf anytime soon. Maybe easier to go back to what worked? Those 8 hour study sessions are the pits.

The problem is there were a lot of changes in Betaflight between 3.1.x and 3.5.x - it might be best to set everything up from scratch on the new version. There were some huge changes in the way PIDs worked and the filtering changed to default the dynamic filters to on.

The issue with a “diff” is that it only shows you what’s different from the defaults - not the full set of settings - I would always recommend taking a “dump” of the stttings as well - which makes it much easier to compare things later.

I’d start with working out what the correct target is - and flash the latest version making sure you select “Full Chip Erase” Then paste in your SERIAL, LED, MODE_COLOUR, AUX, RXFAIL, and MASTER settings in to the CLI and save them (Type “Save” and hit enter :slight_smile: ). Then all you should need to setup is your features, and any PID \ Rate settings.

Guys!!! fixed!!! bloooody hell hahha finally!!!
so… I went through the whole process again. flashed to the stock firmware 3.1.7 version, with all the things AlienskyksFPV mentioned then pasted the diff config. didn’t work I was getting the same problem, constant beep until after randomly connecting and disconnecting and rebooting the quad locked to the transmitter, but anyway wouldn’t fly because of the rxloss error, which bytheway in version 3.1.7 I wasn’t even sure if those were the errors giving me problems at this point, since errors were feedback to you from vers1ion 3.3 (I think) thought status command or osd. i decided then upgrade to 3.3 and try to focus in the errors reported and try to solve them, but I started simple, no diff config was copied, voilà my friends, 0 errors.
that’s it!!! the whole friking time was the diff file messing my quad!!! today I flew 4 lipos happily without major issues!!!
anyway, thanks to everybody who helped!! and I hope this is usefull to any poor soul facing the problem as me!!