Can a Lipo be rescued?

Morning all

I ordered a new battery from amazon, Tattu 1800 75c 3s, which i’ve ordered previously without issue. However this new one that arrived yesterday was not detected by the charger, or by a plug-in voltage alarm. I hooked up a multimeter to the XT60 connector and it was reading 5.3v, waaaaaay less than 11.1v nominal.

Amazon have issued me with a refund for the defective battery after speaking to them about postage restrictions (especially it being defective), and told me to dispose of it myself.

My question is, can it be rescued or not? I have a SkyRC S60 balance charger, which doesn’t show any voltage on the balance lead for this battery.

If it’s going to be a danger, i’ll just discharge it to 0v and toss it.

Its not worth your home…

At that low a voltage and your charger isn’t detecting charge on you balance leads its gone.

I would just discharge it and toss it.
But save the XT60 lead and Balance lead they could come in handy at a later date :wink:

I thought as much, It is brand new so didn’t know if it was worth trying to save it. Better safe than sorry.

I’ll hook up a bulb to it to knock it down to 0v and dispose of it then.

Cheers

I had a Li-Po battery for controller, As forgot to turn off the controller, finally the battery is broken, and never been rescued because of over discharge. The battery can’t recover when voltage is below the critical value.

Iam Amazon prime when it comes from Amazon broken you can send it directly back and make
the money back on gift card . So in the moment the scan the return you have the money and buy another one in 24 houers . Its very simple

It was amazon prime, but they just refunded directly without sending back as it’s classed as a defective battery, no courier will take it.

Sie muessen nur die Ruecksendungsadresse an Amason ausdrucken auf die Verpackung kleben , da bei der Post abgeben und dann nach 24 ST haben sie die Gutschricht , ich bin Amason Prime seid 4 Jahren und kaufe viele Dinge dort !!!

Problem ist, dass sie ausdrücklich angeben, dass defekte oder fehlerhafte Batterien den Kundendienst kontaktieren müssen. Sie haben mir sofort Geld zurückerstattet, weil sie nicht riskieren wollten, eine defekte Batterie zurückzuschicken.

most likely you can restore it!
choose in skyrc mode for NiMH, power 2-3A, connect only the main cable, without balance, charge minutes 7-10, after quickly plug in the balance connector, choose the mode liPo ballance-charge - and charge as usual! Profit!
of course the battery will lose 20-30% of its capacity, but it can work! :slight_smile:
I’m sorry for bad English, but it’s translate.google.com I only know Russian :slight_smile:

скорее всего можно восстановить!
выбери на skyrc режим для NiMH, сила тока 2-3А, подключай только основным кабелем, без баллансного, заряжай минут 7-10, после быстро подключи баллансный разъем, выбери режим liPo ballance-charge - и заряжай как обычно! Profit!
конечно батарея потеряет 20-30% своёй ёмкости, но еще сможет поработать! :slight_smile:
извиняюсь за плохой английский, но это translate.google.com я знаю только русский :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes as @soti suggested it is possible. 99% of the time you can restore it if it has a low voltage cell and if you have a charged that can do this. But please make sure you are carefull when doing this and do it in a fireproof location as force charging a lipo like this can cause it to burn. But in general its a good idea to always charge/store your batteries in a fireproof location.

If you have a cell reading 0V, then its less likely that it can be recovered

Thanks for the info but i decided shortly after starting this thread to discharge the faulty batteries and dispose of them.