3DR/Arducopter Y6 upgrade

Hi all, this is probably a question for the UnmannedTech guys, but any help appreciated.

I have a 3DR Y6 that I have been using for a while with Sunnysky 3108S motors and 12x4.5 carbon direct mount props and I am looking to extend my flight time (difficult task I know). I have already changed the batteries to low-C lightweight ones, and I feel a good upgrade would be to change the motors to your MT3510’s and increase the prop size to 15".

The problem is, with the standard booms the largest prop I can fit is a 13" - any ideas on where I could get longer booms from?
I seem to remember seeing spare booms for 3DR/Arducopter om your shop page, but can’t find them now.
Thanks
Muzzer

I dont know off hand where you could get longer arducopter booms as the frame is no longer manufactured. When I am back at work on Monday I will see if we have any spare longer ones lying around as we did have a bunch at one stage, but possibly we sold them now (if I dont get back to you just remind me incase I forget by Monday :blush: ). But the other option would be to buy some aluminium square tubing from a B&Q or a local hardware store and then you can cut to any size you need. But that way you will also need to drill all the holes etc…

Thanks Alex, no worries.
I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that 3DR are cutting back on their product lines, it seems a lot of stuff they used to sell (including the Pixhawk) is no longer available
I’ve managed to source some 20mm square carbon fibre tubes which will do nicely :slight_smile:
Cheers

Glad you got it sorted,inxase anyone else has the same issue it would be great if you can let us know where you found some tubes.

As for 3DR is it abit of a shame, but they are still making pixhawks and a few odd parts, we are due to get another batch next week from them. But after they sold half the company to get investors they are after the general consumer and industrial markets now, so all focus is on the solo to try compete with DJI. There have been a few rumours of a new stand alone pixhawk which will hopefully be exciting since Qualcomm are a major shareholder - Some details of the Qualcomm Snapdragon Flight Kit Autopilot. But still no official announcement :frowning: for now we will just need to stick with pixhawk or something like the navio 2 if you need more computing power.

Sure, I found the carbon tube on eBay of all places, here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291747755107?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pretty good price too.
I will keep an eye on the new pixhawk deal :thumbsup: