Wildlife Conservation UAV project on Kickstarter

I dont know if anyone has heard about the Rhino poaching problem in South Africa, but I think its great that its finally getting the publicity it needs to get some decent funding to find a solution. I found this project on kickstarter which is planning to use an APM powered drone to help fight poaching.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846841162/team-arend-wildlife-conservation-uav

An international student team (Team AREND) is collaborating to compete in the Wildlife Conservation UAV Challenge to design, build & fly an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) in support of anti-poaching operations in South Africa. This student team is led by Dr. Jean Koster at the University of Colorado at Boulder, and includes teams from Helsinki Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, Finland, the University of Pretoria, South Africa, and the University of Stuttgart, Germany.

We are especially pleased to collaborate with the University of Pretoria in South Africa, specifically their CSIR Aeronautical Group and the Centre for Wildlife Management.

Here is some of the numbers of poaching and you can see how its been rising exponentialy in the last few years if anyone is interested…