Tutorial: Build Autonomous Drone - Using SLAM In GPS Denied Environment For Position Estimation

I have been posting a series of tutorials on how to build an autonomous drone. This time I am writing about Using SLAM In GPS Denied Environment For Position Estimation.

Position History Tracked by SLAM, with GPS turned off

Position History Tracked by SLAM, with GPS turned off

If this is your first time attempting this tutorial, please start from the very beginning so you have all the right dependencies.

Download the framework at this GitHub repo

Episode 1: OFFBOARD mode and Gazebo simulation

Episode 2: Build a 3D Model with Your Drone

Everything I used is based on this GitHub project GAAS, which I built from scratch. I meant to provide an open source framework for autonomous drone development. Give me a star on GitHub if you find this helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Nina for sharing this. I’ve been looking at build a drone with some autonomy that doesn’t just rely on GPS for position tracking. I’m using a Raspberry Pi with Navio and ROS. So far I’ve got to the flying part - next is to start adding sensors.

Any updates with the sensors? Have you added any and have it work with success?
I am also working on a similar project. Any useful tips will be greatly appreciated!

Please checkout our open source repo

GitHub - generalized-intelligence/GAAS: GAAS is an open-source program designed for fully autonomous VTOL(a.k.a flying cars) and drones. GAAS stands for Generalized Autonomy Aviation System..

We have made quite a bit of progress since then. We just released a mirror for using our system on TX2. Hope this helps.