Making a drone for farming purpose

I m making a drone which is needed to carry payload of minimum 4 kg
Which motor should I prefer so that my drone will lift up the pay load easily and can fly?
Also suggest me some batteries…
Thanking you☺️

What is it your doing? Crop spraying? Cow counting? General surveying? Are you looking for easy of portability or a large, stable platform?

Are you willing to spend the money needed to build what you want? Most industrial/heavy use parts cost more, and the price will be higher than you think.

I’ve built a drone that can lift in theory, 15kg, but its large, bulky and mission specific.

Give me some details as to what you want and i’ll be glad to help tailor suggestions, other wise, my only advice is lower KV on the motors, bigger propss and a higher cell count and mah count on the battery.

Yes it is for spraying purpose and it will not be that much bulky

Also I want to know how to calculate thrust and torque of a motor so that I can find it easy to select motors accordingly

Learning by doing :wink: :

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lets start from the top.

Frame.
Your going to want a mostly contained, sealed frame. it’ll prevent various fluids and chemicals from getting into the body of the drone, shorting out ESCs, corroding wires, and causing general mayhem.

Flight Computer.
Unless you want to fly manually for hours, a flight computer with a good GPS and auto-pilot is advised. It’ll let you fly the route once, and then the drone will auto fly it time and time again, preventing overlap or missed spots. more advanced ones will even detect the fluid left in your sprayer tank and return to home for a refill.

motors
The guides Luca posted are great, but something that they dont cover is fluids getting in the motors. Ideally, that is something you dont want happening, but realistically, it will. So looking into motors that are semi-sealed or have proper protection against things such as fertilizers and such will be a big deal. In general, you’ll want a lower KV motor, they often are designed for higher torque, lower max speed, which allows larger, more effecient propellers.

As for maximum weight, you’ll need to do the math to figure out how much weight you will be lifting. Almost all drone components will have their weight listed, so choose what you think will work, add in your cargo and then divide that weight into however many motors your frame has.

Cargo
Since you will be using your drone for a sprayer, you will need a fluid tank, a pump and nozzles, as well as a way to wire up said pump.

Now here is where i’ll do a personal opinion and recommendation.

Find a pre-built drone and purchase it.

It’ll be a lot easier to have everything set up, tuned and pre-calibrated and you will have less risk of crashing a drone into a field. Yes, it is more expensive, but the risk is a lot lower if you are a first time drone operator. If your insistent on building your own, at least find a prebuilt frame for agricultural spraying. They make them, and they are expensive, but many times, the manufactures have recommended specifications for that frame. Arris is the first one off the top of my head. they have several different styles and sizes, as well as recommendations for components.

I am making it as my final year project so I can not buy it from outsources. i have to build it on my own. still i will buy things such as flight controllers and ESCs from out sources.