Light Drone under 500g Challenge?

Hi there, i just realized that in my country are allowed drone under 500 g without been certified, i was already done with my choose for drone components but now i am looking for other light components , i found this video on yt with a drone that i like,

Have anyone some suggestions for a light and not very expensive drone parts and components, the 3d printed frame if good for drone or is heavier?
I am also wondering about choosing the ESC, if i have an installation that require 60A for example and i choose the ESC to have (60/4 = 15A x 1.2 = 18A About an 20A ESC will work) but the amperage need to be lower or higher than the battery amperage? the batt will have to be able to give more amperage than 60A but lower than 20 x 4 = 80 + amps for other electronics) ?

The battery mAh need to be 60000 mAh or the mAh mutiplied by the C rating ?
Watch my thorough closed forum where i didn’t get a practical example.

Regards
Alex :slightly_smiling_face:

The setup from the video looks fine to me.
The rating on the Escs does not mean that you need to be able to provide X amount of amps for the esc to work. It means that this is the highest the esc will go if possible.
You should choose your escs depending on your flying style (freestyle, racing etc.)
In general you wont do anything wrong with 30A escs.

U want an ESC that can provide at least 40A (most modern ones are 40A-60A), not some kind of crazy calculated result :wink: for a typical 5inch setup. You would also want a 1000-1500mAh battery for that size, 60KmAh is HUGE.

Please elaborate on what u want to build though. Going under 500g with a 5inch is possible, but might not be as easy as, say, for example, a 3inch. A 3d printed frame might seem like a good idea, but they are very fragile and can have a lot of oscillations.

hello, thanks for the answer. I never had a drone before and i don’t quite know what things i have to take in mind for building one that will actually work, i would like it to be made for easy flight but also i am interested in fpv, where i would also need a screen and another set of receiver and transmitter. initially i wanted to made the drone myself, to program it to do what i want exatly (for example i would like a fly mode where i can set a height that the drone needs to keep with the help of a magnetometer also to auto correct it’s position in real time also to have two joysticks, one joystick for front/back left/right movement and one for up/down for both directions, other buttons for a flip that the drone made by itself and more, for these i would have to build the Transmitter by myself based on arduino with a transmitter and also program the drone) but it is quite hard and i would became more heavier than 500 grams with a go pro on it for better footage.

No no.
Most of that stuff can be done with off-the-shelf equipment! Just need a flight controller that’s capable of running ArduPilot, which is an autonomous flight control firmware. Matek has a couple that are small enough to fit in a quad. If you want a radio that can support its telemetry features, it might get expensive, but if you just want to control it, good radios can cost as low as $60. I would avoid the FlySky radios, even tho the price might sound appealing, they aren’t worth the cheap cost. If you need any help choosing components, feel free to ask

i didn’t knew about this firmware before, about 8 moths ago i tried to better understand how to merge components together but i still had some uncertain questions, for example what thrust the motor needs to have so that it could handle the drone height easily, propeller size, kv of the motor(a bigger kv with a smaller propeler or a lower kv with a big prop), and my most uncertain thing was the esc. If i have a motor that has the maximum curent (A) 23A so 4 of the would be 4*23=92 plus an additional safety margin of 20% would be 27.6 so a 30A esc would work because it can delivery more amp that needed, for esc would be 110.4A plus curent nedded for smaller electronics, what battery i would need so that it could provide the nedded curent and also the flight time to be as big as posible without making the drone to heavy (it must be 500grams with the battery or without on it ?) What is mah and C rating ?

Those are the things i would love to understand before getting into building the drone.
i may also like the drone to have a function to take off the ground at a certain height and to get back to the start position somehow by pressing a button, i never had a RC transmiter before but can i program the buttons on it to do what i want ? i assume that by pressing a button it will give a signal that will be received by the flight controler, which is programed in ArduPilot, so can i customize that ? i will need a magnetometer for it to know it’s position in the space. Also, this board autonomous flight control has also the distribution board included, for the esc and the power suply from the battery ?

Motors usually have some thrust tests, along with the amp draw with some different props. If you look, you will find what u want. Yes, on ESCs its always better to have an overhead. The motor will not constanly pull that much, but do have some extra “space”.

The mAh rating is the capacity, and along with the C rating, which stands for discharge rate, you can calculate how much current u can draw from the battery.
So, for example, a battery with 1500mAh and a discharge rate of 100C would go like: 1500mah=1.5Ah x 100C = 150A total discharge current ability.

Yes, in the flight control software you can assign each switch on the radio to do something. The flight controller itself doesn’t receive the signal from the radio, you need a standalone receiver for that. Some boards have a PDB, some don’t. It should be listed in the description though.