Is this commercial use of a drone?

Hello guys!!!
My question today is… I might want to use a field owned by a company to fly my drone with their permission ofcourse… but in exchange I’ll provide them with a video footage that they can use for their social media and promotional purposes. Would this be a commercial use of a drone?? Do I need to spend £1000+ on the commercial license to do this??
I know new regulations are coming this November… but everything I read on the internet states that commercial use means, linked to a company and I get profit out of it. But I am not taking profit! Am I?
Thanks for your time guys!!!

Nah… Youre not really making profit…
You can argue that you are just helping out because you are a nice person…
I wouldnt say that this is a commercial use of your drone.

yep agree with Luca, you need to make something out of it to be commercial.

I also agree with @lucag and @dale589
This is not commercial use, no money or goods (the legal guys call it ‘consideration’) passes between you and them.
The fact that they let you fly over their field is just ‘good neighbourly’ kindness
Don’t worry about it, sleep well at night :grinning:
Cheers
Steve

2 Likes

Thanks guys! heheh. I think this way I would fin nice places where to fly! All parks around me are filled with dogwalkers and kids!!

If you notice that they use your video a lot you should ask them help pay for your license. Over here in the USA it’s only $160 for the cost of test. Profit and consideration are two different things. Many businesses go out of business due to lack of profit even though they receive consideration for their work.

One could argue that you receive valuable consideration for the use of that private field. Whereas another person might have to pay to rent the use.

Not sure about your country but I don’t think orgs like the FAA and whatever you have locally are looking for small time gentleman’s agreements such as you have, so like others said, I wouldn’t worry about it, but it might be an opportunity for you. Just a thought for you.

According to the CAA regulations this would be classed as commercial use @Yagormeister. The reason is just because money hasn’t been exchanged the data you produce is used for commercial purposes to promote the said company. If you read the regulations they do address such issues unfortunately.

That said, I will also add that I do not know of any prosecutions of people who have done such flights as long as they are done in a safe manner. Basically the CAA only prosecutes people who are idiots and are unsafe. That said with the new rules coming into force on November I suggest you read up on everything.