Clarification of (new) law with regards to Sub 250g drone use.

although if we are talking technicalities I guess the real answer is it doesn;t really matter because I would crash a long time before anyone decided if i was technical legal or not to fly there!

Approx 1 million road traffic deaths globally and people are concerned about 250gm quads rules.?
Just Fly the hell out of your quads and enjoy life. Just dont do Stupid Stuff.
Snooping with quad / drones yet everyone has a smart phone recording EVERYTHING they photograph , film , txt, even tracks every position of the phone every 30 seconds so long as there’s a battery plugged in it. Will these new laws`soon be demanding SIM cards plugged in as well?. NOW there’s a better option, Better Camera, better recording res, Accelerator better battery and processor probably and GPS too plus when it does crash it can say “So Sorry, So sorry…” or My Bad" better still, “this Drone will self destruct in 5 seconds”
'BTW Hoons and BAD people don’t register or read the rules / laws and this is the problem they are trying to stop. Idiots on the other hand we just have to live with till hunting season starts. :crazy_face:

Of course I’m concerned about 250gm quad rules.

And so should you be.

As drone owners/users, all of us should be concerned because adopting any other outlook risks giving the hobby/sport/pastime a bad name.

Thanks to the recent Gatwick incidents, all of us are liable to suffer with new or further legislation so making some bizarre claim about road traffic deaths as an ‘excuse’ to “just fly the hell out of your quad” (suggesting that such an action is petty or inconsequential by comparison), is quite a retarded view.

No matter. I’ll leave this forum to you irresponsible children.

Over and out.

rules aren’t laws and for anything under 250gm I haven’t heard any laws ? A lot of them that are under are considered to be classed as toys, Still they could bring out new laws for under 250gm, but really I don’t think it will stop idiots doing these silly things, all it does is take away peoples freedoms that do follow the laws and rules. I think the laws are silly and wont change anything as for the police we want them protecting us from real criminals and real crimes ,

1 Like

As far as I read the air navigation order (ANO) the sub 250g rule just applies to absence of the need for registration - all the other rules apply. The definition of a SUA (Small Unmanned Aircraft) is “any unmanned aircraft, other than a balloon or a kite, having a mass of not more than 20kg” So SUA extends all the way down to 0g

So to answer your questions from a strict interpretation of the ANO viewpoint (IMO):

“Does the law state that lightweight , sub 250g,“toy drones” need to maintain a 50m (or 150m), distance from people and property in just the same way a heavier, (soon to need registering), drone has to?”

Answer: Depends on whether the SUA has a camera or not (i.e. is a Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft SUSA) - only if it is a SUSA do the 50m of any person (30m takeoff/landing), 50m of Vessel/veichle/structure, 150m congested area/open-air > 1000 person rules apply.

And “Can a sub 250g “toy” drone be flown in a garden, near buildings and people without requiring the area being under the CONTROL of the drone pilot?”

Answer: Yes as long as its not a SUSA and conforms to all the other ANO SUA rules.

In one sentence… If anybody feels uncomfortable when you fly in your garden with your video drohne (any), you arent allowed to fly.

In fact, they have already made this request, drone more than 250g need to register, which means that carrying high-definition cam and large-capacity lipo will easily exceed this weight, such as the 5000mah lipo I used, the weight is already 297g.