June 2019: Chasing Challenge

Challenge (June, 2019)

:trophy:Prize - 1x Custom “Toothpick” class build kit - exact parts to be announced soon™ but it will be a high performance 2S version, without an RX so you can add whichever you need.

This month is all about chasing. Your goal is to pick a moving target and lock onto it. Keep it close, keep it smooth, get some interesting angles. Rules and pointers:

• Keep it safe!*
  • Keep your eyes on the target most of the time
  • Keep a fixed-ish distance if possible
  • Keep it smooth
  • Keep it close, but…
  • Don’t hit the target! (unless it’s another quad, then an accidental bump might be fun :slight_smile: )
  • Bonus points if you can incorporate some tricks around your target or get in front of it/under it etc.
  • It’s ok to have multiple targets - you can try to keep more than one in shot or switch between them
  • Video should be new and done / posted within the month of June 2019.
  • 60 seconds or less - I won’t set the minimum time because if you somehow get to chase a rhinoceros like JohnnyFPV then 2 seconds might be enough :heart_eyes: :sweat_smile: (footage doesn’t have to be continuous, but longer shots are preferred, editing skills will be appreciated but not judged)
  • Quad size and camera type don’t matter, it’s all about the subject and keeping the shots interesting

* If you’re chasing eg. other people’s vehicles, please have their consent. Don’t do it on a busy public road etc. Coordinate your moves in advance or live via phone etc. If you’re chasing an animal try not to get too close or do it for too long to give the poor thing a heart attack.

:alarm_clock:Deadline: - June 30th 2019 23:59 BST

:man_judge:Judge - @fichek

Here’s a couple of my chase videos for inspiration, one chasing a plane and one with young motocross riders:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxO3eFKHnsV/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvMdgQpHGKm/

Here is my first attempt at chasing. It was great fun and it was nice to meet someone who has been flying for 20 years.

3 Likes

Having no obvious targets to chase… I chose to practise following soft targets :D. I was using a cinewhoop with giant TPU ducts for safety

3 Likes

Just in time did a few months ago, first time to chase never did it since

1 Like

Thanks for this challenging challenge @fichek
Being able to see the line attached to balloons in my googles particularly difficult - and well - balloons seem to just - go where they please! :smile:

3 Likes

And out of no where. I pull a video together.
Just wish I had solved the 7inch wobbles.
Please forgive.

3 Likes

Submissions are now closed. Thanks for your entries everyone, I’ll try to pick a winner within 24h :slight_smile:

Before I announced this challenge I talked to @unmannedtech1 about my idea to give away a full Toothpick build and asked if he could give me some discount since it’s for the community. He said we’ll definitely work something out so I went ahead with it and kind of forgot about it until it was time to announce the winner. So today I have 2 announcements:

Announcement #1

Unmanned Tech will be fully sponsoring the main parts of the prize! Yes, you read that right! Huge thanks to UMT for supporting community like this! The full list of items:

Again, all of the above items are 100% covered by Unmanned Tech! I wasn’t expecting this so I will be throwing in a receiver of your choice + a couple of TheFPV 450mAh 2S HV 80C batteries along with the rest of items that you need to complete the build. I was originally planning to give out my custom Toothpick class frame but they are still being cut so instead you will receive:

• 1x original KababFPV Toothpick frame with all the hardware
  • 1x custom 3d printed camera mount

Announcement #2

And the winner of June 2019 Chasing Challenge iiiiiiiiis…

…

:drum: *drumroll* :drum:

…

:tada: @Kev with his balloon chasing! :tada:

…

All of the entries did something right and it wasn’t an easy choice, but I feel like Kev did something we don’t really see quads do which I appreciate. Congrats Kev on your new Toothpick! We’ll be in touch via Discord about delivering your prize.

:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

3 Likes

well won Kev, note to self must try harder (now where have i heard that before)

1 Like