🙋‍♂️ How To Ask For Help - A step by step guide on how to have your questions answered

If you post something like “I’m trying to do [something], but it’s not working for me”, you are unlikely to get a helpful response form our community. To answer a question like this is hard as someone has to guess what you’re trying to do, what gear you are using, guess where the problem lies, and then suggest a solution.

If you want to make it more likely that someone will help you, here are some hints. When posting on this forum, please try to:

:white_check_mark: Be specific about what’s not working, and what you’ve tried already.

For example:

Smart audio is not working on my quadcopter. I have made sure that I am running the latest version of betaflight, I have double checked my connections (smart audio wire from VTX is going to TX1 on the flight controller. The VTX is working fine, but I cant seem to access the OSD menu.

:white_check_mark: Be specific about what’s equipment and firmware you are using.

For example:

I am using an omnibus F4 V6 with betaflight 4.0 firmware flashed onto the flight controller. I have a ChaosFPV VTX. I am using a Taranis QX7 radio with a R-XSR receiver. The reciever is working as I can see the channels moving when in betaflight.

:white_check_mark: Be specific about what you’re trying to do.

For example:

I would like to be able to change the VTX power levels and channels via smart audio from my radio.

:white_check_mark: Try to include some photos showing the problem, or how you have connected everything. A video is even better.

:x: Don’t expect someone to do all your research by asking open ended questions.

For example:

I want to build a drone that can fly for 30 minutes, and carry a super awesome camera, what do I need?

This type of question requires someone to go and put in the work to find all the parts you need without relay knowing much about your budget, building skills etc… Rather ask specific questions showing that you have done the basics, like for my drone will it be better to use a Arducopter based autopilot, or a Betaflight based flight controller?

If you follow this basic guide, then it’s much easier for us to help you – and this means it’s much more likely that you’ll get help!

For example, now that I’ve framed your question in an easy-to-understand way, I expect one of our forum regulars will be able to answer your question before long…

1 Like