We are making our own drone!

Hi,

I’m Mart and together with my friends, we are building our own drone from scratch. We have been interested in drones for a while now, so we decided to make one for ourselves. First of all I would like to say that we are not really experienced in building things like this (we obviously know something about forces, electricity etc.). So please tell us when we are wrong, because we are always looking to improve our knowledge etc. Please excuse me for my English, I’m not a native speaker…

So we are looking to buy some components for our drone from the Unmannedtechshop.co.uk. We were interested in the following products:

We have chosen this kit, because we want everything in one kit, so we don’t have to buy the things individually and we think it’s easier for us as starters. But we have some questions about the components of the kit:

• The description tells us that the 850kV motor needs a 22A ESC, but we can only select a 20A ESC. Is the 20A ESC good enough for the motor?
  • We have looked up the ESC in the kit, but we are a bit unsure about the working of it. We understand that it is a 4in1 ESC, but can we control the ESCs seperately from each other with the firmware that the site give us? Or do we need other firmware for the ESC? And do we need this: http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/usb-link-esc.html for it to update the firmware for the ESC in this kit?
  • We have looked up some information about the ESC on the site and it says we need to calibrate the ESC for our drone and that we require a throttle hub for that. Can we use the throttle hub (http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/throttle-hub-for-quadcopter-4-escs.html) on our computer and can we also use it for this ESC? And how does it exactly work?

Also: We are planning to build our own frame for the drone. Do you guys have any suggestion for cheap materials we can use?

Do we miss something in our plan to build a drone? Like components? Also note that we are using a Raspberry Pi for the drone and that we are planning to control the drone with our computer via WiFi.

Thank you for reading this and we are always looking to improve our drone and we are open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Mart