How to install, setup and configure Remzibi OSD (2013 version)

Remzibi OSD setup video

I came across this great video showing you how to easily configure and setup your remizibi OSD board. The guide over at http://www.happykillmore.com/Software/faq.asp has not been updated for a very long time so thanks to diegobobcat for posting a helpful video!

Remzibi OSD Modes and Status LED

The Remzibi OSD module has two modes and is indicated via the Blue LED:

Normal Mode - This is the default mode when to turn on the OSD. In this mode the Blue LED will flash. In this mode there are two video modes that you will need to set depending on your camera (PAL and NTSC)

Programming Mode - This mode is used to change the settings on the OSD board. To enter this mode simply hold the pushbutton in while pluggin in the power to the Remzibi OSD module (or plugging in the USB dongle to your PC).

Connecting to your Remzibi OSD Board

Connect the included USB dongle to your remzibi OSD board.

The USB dongle connects to the same place the GPS module is connected to, so you will need to disconnect the GPS first.

Now you will need to plug the USB dongle into your windows PC and the drivers should be loaded automatically after a few seconds. Once connected you should see a solid red light, and a flashing blue light on your Remzibi OSD to indicate the OSD is in normal mode. And if you enter programming mode (see how to above) the Blue LED will be solid.

To check that the drivers are correcty installed open the device managed and you should see a new COM port device as shown below (Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port). If your PC does not install the driver you can download it here

Now you will need to open the Remzibi OSD tool program which can be downloaded here. Once installed open the program (with your OSD plugged in and in program mode). A serial fucntions window should open (if not select it from the top toolbar)

In the Serial Functions window, select the correct COM port, and click Connect. In the Serial Cable Setup tab, select “FTDI – diydrones.com” from the Cable Selection dropdown menu. . Click Start Test, and check that the Status reads “Passed […]” If the test fails, make sure you have selected the correct COM Port, make sure that your Remzibi board is in programming mode (solid blue LED), and check your cabling.

You can now change the settings via the config tool as you desire, like changing locations of OSD display etc… For more information please visit the official FAQ page.

Updating Remzibi OSD Firmware

Your remzibi OSD board should already come pre loaded with firmware so you will probably not need to do this. But sometimes things can go wrong and you end up bricking your OSD board (black screen) so an update to the firmware might be needed.

As mentioned above, connect your OSD board to your PC in programming mode (solid blue LED). In the Remzibi OSD config tool, select Firmware Update and the Firmware Update window will open.

• In the Firmware Update window, choose the correct COM port and source
    firmware you would like to upload. If you do not see the firmware you
    would like to upload in the dropdown menu, you can search for it in
    the next window.
  • Click on MegaLOAD
  • In the MegaLOAD window, you may see a file under File to be
    programed in the Flash. You can either upload this firmware, or you
    can search for a different firmware by clicking Open and searching
    for the File to be programmed in the Flash.
  • Select the COM port
  • Set the Speed to 38400bps
  • Press the reset button on the Remzibi’s OSD to reset the board.
    The firmware will automatically be uploaded. If the upload fails or
    does not begin immediately, try resetting the board again.

When the firmware is being uploaded, you will see pages being sent in
the Messages box, and once it is finished, it will read Flash Prog done!

Also if you want to attach extra devices to remzibi OSD to monitor extra things such as RSSI (Signal strength), then this video below should be of some help!

Its also suggested you add a resistor/capacitor to avoid damaging the Remzibi OSD board

How can I purchase a usb dongle for this osdboard? I purchased one off ebay and didnt include the cable. Thanks!

I suggest you ask the guy you purchased it from as they usually come with the dongle, or they should be able to sell you one. Otherwise you can use any USB TTL cable such as an FTDI board, but you will probably need to make your own connection cable depending on what version of the Remzibi OSD board you have.

I know this board pretty good, but where are the ADC pins located on this specific board? I would love to get RSSI out of this thing as it is my favorite OSD.
The video is for the ancient version, and it seems a bit much to do what is described which is not a real help for this board…

This is the ONLY website I have ever found for this specific “Blue” 2013 version I bought from Goodluckbuy.

I see on the back of the board A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 near the GPS I/O pin outs, and would assume that this is the location, but how would I do this?

Any info would be helpful
Ted

Figured it out, thank you nobody!

Would you mind sharing your solution as I am thinking of doing the same? Do you get RSSI out from one of the A1-A5 pins? I cant seem to find an answer as most information is for the older remzibi osd board

Yes, the A1-5 is on the back of the board, all you have to do is solder a lead to it, and follow the instructions on the R emzibi page.

But…

I have since found a better OSD with many more features, than the remzibi. It works with ardupilot, as this is what I need. I may just get rid of all of my remzibis .

Click on youtube video here

https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight-controllers/minimosd.html

@Ted_J_Conowal you are correct, once you connected your lead to A1-5, you just need to select its function on the configuration page where X ADC 2 would be A1, X ADC 3 would be A2, etc…

From the Remzibi OSD site

Let’s say you’re trying to use the RSSI (Received signal strength indication) output from your RX and the peak/max ADC value is 322 and the min ADC value is 840. But you’d like to show 0 when there is no signal and 100 when there is peak signal. You need to use a negative gain in this situation.
In this situation, you’ll need to enter the min ADC value (ie 840) in the “Min Value” field.
Then you’ll need to calculate the gain. Gain = Output / (ADC - Min) = 100 / (322 - 840) = -0.19305.

So in the example above:
If the ADC reads 711, Output = (ADC - Min) X Gain = (711 - 840) X -0.19305 = 24.9% (This would be a low signal strength)
If the ADC reads 405, Output = (ADC - Min) X Gain = (405 - 840) X -0.19305 = 84.0% (This would be a high signal strength)

Hope that helps.

If anyone else is looking to buy a new OSD, its probably better to go with minimOSD or Rush especially if you are using ardupilot. However if you are just planning to use a stand alone OSD then remzibi is still a good option.

I’m trying to connect an output from an arduino mini pro (3.3v) which is a pwm signal. will this work with the remzibi?
the remzibi wants an analog (I think).
Do I just connect a wire from the A terminal (on the edge of the remzibi) to the A5 pad and connect the arduino signal to the A terminal? Do I need a ground from the arduino to the remzibi also?

I get funny results.

Ray

Hello I am hoping since you know this board really well you can answer a question for me.

I bought this board off ebay from goodluckbuy. On the listing there is a picture showing V1 can connect to 2-6S however the specs states 2-3s. Do you know if I can connect a 4s to V1 to power the board?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251898129980?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks
Gravy

Hello. I have question about remzibi
1.First I open remzibi program.
2.Go to serial functions, serial cable setup, select FTDI-diydrones.com
3.Select correct com port,put usb in computer then click conect then first
press button for 2 second while I put OSD in osb cable.
4.Shine blue and doesnt yellow
5.Press start test
6.After a 5 second
7.Status: OSD did not respond

What can I do next?
It doesnt conect to the computer.

Thanks for answer!
Nejc

I am not sure about which version goodluckbuy sell so its best to ask them for details on teh board. We dont sell the remzibi osd anymore.

Have you downloaded and installed the drivers? If you have the drivers it could be that the the board might of been bricked. Have you tried to reflash the firmware onto the board? Otherwise you might need to contact the shop you purchased it from to get a replacement as you should be able to connect to it.