Foldable-gps-mount

Hello,

Well, taken me three months to build my drone, thanks for all the help so far. For the first time, flew it this evening, very pleased indeed (F450 Frame)

So I bought this:

http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/foldable-gps-mount/

From you guys. It seems to have an awful lot of play, it moves left and right. I am not using the GPS module presently, as I get error messages indicating that the compass on the GPS module does not agree with the compass on the PixHawk.

If I use the mount, and plug the PixHawk into the computer, I can see the amount of play is visible on the output readings on the compass. Doesn’t seem right to me.

Any assistance gratefully received

Thanks

Stuart

It does sound like something is not right as it shouldn’t wobbly. Are you sure its mounted correctly and the but is tightened properly? Do you have a picture showing the mount just in case I can see a problem. Otherwise it could just be a faulty mount in which case just let me know and I can arrange to send you a replacement.

Hope you have a great weekend :smile:

Yes i have tightened the two allen key nuts at the base, and the screw on barrel at the base. The GPS is secured with some velcro, but the play is not coming from the velcro.

I thought it would be easier to show in a vid I uploaded:

http://youtu.be/gH_KTBiuRGQ

The play occurs at the base, I did another short video using a macro lens so hopefully its clear where the play is coming from:

http://youtu.be/2Vw_-BCvcYo

The nut at the base is as tight as it will go. Hope thats helps describe the problem.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the videos, I think that the majority of the play comes down to the fact that the joint is abit wobbly. What you want to do is make sure that you tighten the hex joint bolt enough that you need abit of tension to fold/unfold the GPS mount, but not too tight that you cant fold anything. Then you should find your mount is nice and secure once the thumb nut is secured tightly…

Also be careful when tightening everything as you don’t want to go overboard and strip the thread and the mount is made of aluminium.

Hello,

Yes this is what I was trying to explain sorry. I have tightened it as much as it will go. And still the play. I have a proper hex tool, and I’m putting a fair amount of pressure on, no matter how tight I make it, there is still loads of play. It is in the correct way around, any other ideas?

Many Thanks

If that is the case, its probably best to send us an email with your order number and we will arrange a replacement for you as it looks like your mount might have its tolerances slightly out.

Will do, many thanks

Replacement miles better, thanks very much

1 Like

Had a little crash and snapped the mast on the GPS pole. Do you see the pole on its own at all?

Unfortunately we dont sell the pole on its own, but you should be able to buy one somewhere on the internet, as its just a basic carbon/ fiberglass rod and cut it down to size… If you need dimensions just let me know as I dont know them off hand.

yes if you could advise on the dimensions, well the diameter please. Bit difficult to measure. Much appreciated