First time building a Drone

Hi Guys

It’s my first time building a drone and I want to build a octacopter.

I am planning on getting the following parts after reading loads of online guides. My question is, are these all that I need? I feel like I am forgetting / missing something!

Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

Frame: Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking

I can only put two links so the rest of the links below just need pasting onto the end of this url :slight_smile: https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk

Flight Controller: /ardupilot-mega-autopilot-kit-apm-2-8/

GPS Module: Ublox NEO-7N GPS with Compass

Airspeed Sensor: Airspeed Sensor Kit - MPXV7002DP

Telemetry: Ardupilot 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 433Mhz

Power Module: High Voltage APM Power Module with 3A UBEC

Motors (inc props): 8x /mt-2216-810kv-muticopter-motor/ (4 CW, 4 CCW)

ESC: Not sure which one of the following I should get any help appreciated!
20a-multi-rotor-esc-simonk/ or /30a-multi-rotor-esc-simonk/ also not sure if I need with BEC or without!

Transmitter /walkera-devo-7-2-4ghz-radio-7-channel-dsss-transmitter/

Receiver: Devo RX701 7-channel receiver

Let me know what you all think! This is my first time building a drone so would like to get advice before spending the money!

Hey if its your first build I would highly suggest you consider starting with a quadcopter as then you only need 4 motors, so overall its quicker and cheaper to build. Also check if your frame as a power distirubiton board included/ built in as that is something you will need to power all of your ESC’s

Other than that the parts list seems ok, except for a few things

• Airspeed Sensor: multirotors do not need an airspeed sensor, this is only used for fixed wing planes.
  • ESC: for the 810Kv motors you chose, the 20A ESC would work fine.
  • Battery: You did not mention anything about batteries but our 5100mah one would be ideal for a quadcopter. You will also probably need a battery connector.

On the other hand you might want to try building a miniquad, we have a cheap starter kit here

A post was split to a new topic: Which motors for a 6Kg Drone Build